“As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” — Maya Angelou
By Jennifer McDougall
Caring for your mental health is something we all must do each and every day. To avoid burnout, we must constantly be aware of our energy levels and how much of it we give before we refuel ourselves. Many people who fail to take care of their mental help face many difficulties such as an emotional breakdown and indulging in dangerous or erratic behaviors.
Here are 10 things to do to care for your mental health.
- Talk to a life coach or therapist to help you gain clarity and direction through the obstacles in your life.
- Get 8 hours of sleep each night.
- Feed your mind with stimulating books – spend 30 minutes a day reading
- Create boundaries from toxic people who drain you of your energy
- Practice positive self-talk from the moment you wake up until you fall asleep at night
- Simplify your schedule by not overcommitting yourself to tasks or obligations
- Unplug from technology for an hour a day
- Spend 30-45 minutes a day working out
- Begin your day with meditation with deep breathing
- Declutter your living and workspace
For information on receiving self-care services through POCWASN, contact us today!