“Emotional health is an important part of overall health. People who are emotionally healthy are in control of their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. … It means you are aware of your emotions. You can deal with them, whether they are positive or negative. Emotionally healthy people still feel stress, anger, and sadness.” – Family Doctor . org
Life certainly has its way of taking a toll on our emotional health sometimes. The continuous marathon to take care of all your responsibilities, be sure your family is fed, everyone is taken care of, and at the end of the day, it’s not uncommon to feel drained. That is why it’s important we refuel our body, mind, and spirit for a boost in emotional well being. When we take time to heal our emotions we are not only helping ourselves tremendously but we are also helping people we care for and are surrounded by every day.
How can you take better care of your emotional health?
- Pay attention to your energy levels. Give yourself a break when you need it.
- Space out your commitments so you don’t feel overwhelmed with events and obligations.
- Connect with your support network – Talk it out with close friends
- Practice healthy coping mechanisms when stress arises
- Recenter yourself by quiet spending time alone
- Maintain a steady balance between work, down time, and play
- Reach out to a life coach for guidance and restoration healing
- Exercise regularly
- Eat healthy and nutritious foods
- Surround yourself with positive influences who lift you up rather than drain you and drag you down