Trick-or- treat! The holiday season is upon us and that starts with Halloween! For parents with children on the spectrum the idea of dressing their child up and going out trick-or-treating may feel a bit stressful. That is okay, because we are here to put your worries at ease and help you and your child enjoy a stress-free Halloween!
- Show photos or drawings of Halloween activities to your child so he/she can warm up to ideas of what to expect during the day/night
- Play dress up with your child and have them try on their costume so that when it comes time to go trick-or-treating or the event you have planned, they feel comfortable
- If they do not feel comfortable in their costume, do not force them to wear it. Being comfortable is important for them to enjoy the holiday as best as possible
- Play Halloween themes games at home if you choose not to take them trick-or-treating
- Take them to a local event with people and surroundings they are familiar with